Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Evolutionary Posting

One of the best things about my character Post is the unlimited amount of title puns it offers me.

My friends would probably say thats one of the worst things.

Anyway, have the last Melon and Post I made in 2010:


I posted this alone for a reason. I've decided that with a new year, comes something I should have done a long time ago. Redesign Post.

Why? Post has caused me problems since the start. Let me outline why.


These are the 3 versions of Post I've had so far. 

#1: First iteration was back in the super sketchy phase, it was easy to make everything work. But As they grew, I had to bring Post into the world of being fully rendered.

#2:  Naturally the biggest obstacle is finding out where to put his mouth. When I decided to make a fully rendered Melon & Post, I decided to close off all sides. I also came up with the deviously clever idea of whenever Post has his mouth open, his tongue is a light bulb. Turns out I was kidding myself, it wasn't enough. He doesn't look at all like a lamppost now does he?

This led to a hilarious misinterpretation


After hiding the body I realized that his error in guessing what Post was showed just how flawed Post's design actually was. 

I came up with the solution of keeping a faceplate, but taking out the others so you could see his lightbulb, like you see in #3. 



It actually seemed like a quality solution, but at the same time, I was still unhappy. For one thing, it added a lot of extra lines I had to draw to make all the support poles and everything work. The beauty of Melon is her simplicity. I do all the detail work with the color. So while I love my Post, I decided that he still needed an overhaul. I only put it off for so long because I felt I was doing myself and his fans a bit of an injustice by changing him. But I decided to try. It became what elements to keep, and what to jettison, and how to translate. For one thing, I always hated those damn little balls on each corner. 

This is what I came up with:


I liked his angular lined nature before, he was very geometrical, and it was sort of a nice balance with the supreme roundness of Melon. The issue is most Lampposts are many sides, and I'd still have the issue of where to put his mouth. He had to stay the same character, and mouth placement is a part of that. 

I saw a lamppost the other day that was a pole, with a bulb on top. I liked it. Drawing it however, it looked like Post was a crystal ball on a stand. So I made him more oblong and added a "hat" top piece, similar to his old style. 

It's still a striking change, and I have to draw a bunch of M&P's like this now, but for the challenge I had it seems to work very well. Its simpler, less confined by arbitrary limits that I backed into. I can do more with him. New Year, new Post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment